The Royal Palace of Capodimonte was built by Carlo III of Borbone, in the vicinity of the wood where the king had decided to build a big enclosure. The works lasted nearly a century, and began in 1738 under the direction of the military engineer Giovanni Antonio Median, aimed from the outset to accommodate the huge collection of art that King Carlo had inherited from his mother Elisabetta Farnese. From 1763 to 1766 the architect Ferdinando Fuga took care to follow the work and were also designed the Royal Porcelain Factory and the church dedicated to San Gennaro. Following the Revolution of 1799, the Palace housed the troops and although Charles was able to bring into their flight to Palermo the finest pieces, many important works were damaged. During the decade of French domination with Giuseppe Bonaparte and Gioacchino Murat, the building became a residential and the works were moved to the Palace of Studies, the current National Archaeological Museum of Naples. Unification of Italy until 1920, when the palace became state property of state, had more residential museum function, despite the artistic sensibility of Savoy family took over, helped to enrich the collection. In 1949 the Ministry of Education imposed a return to the palace of the whole collection of medieval and modern art, previously moved to the Palazzo degli Studi was born in 1957 and the National Gallery of Capodimonte.
The main sections heritage sites within the National Galleries of Capodimonte are the Farnese and Borbone Collection, the largest and most important collection of art of Southern Italy. At the beginning ‘500, the Pope Paolo III, born Alessandro Farnese (1468-1549), was one of the greatest collectors of art objects and antiques, and when Carlo Bourbon, his descendant of his mother’s side, became King of Naples decided to transfer the entire collection in the capital of the new kingdom. It was the largest movement of art around the XVIIth century.
The Museum is spread over three floors, with over 150 rooms containing paintings and objets d’art from the XIII to XX century.
The Capodimonte Museum, one of the most prestigious and rich in the panorama of Italian and European museums, is characterized by an articulated path, developed on three floors of the palace.
Tour Price: 60 €/hour (minimum 2 hours)
Tour type: Archaeology and History tour; Private tour; Walking tour
Duration: 2 hours; 2,5 hours
Running days: Every day (except Wednesday)
Maximum travelers: 14 (a small group guarantee a service of better quality) Tours for larger groups can be arranged on demand.
Main attractions: the masterworks of Caravaggio the “Flagellazione di Cristo”, Simone Martini “San Ludovico di Tolosa”, Tiziano “Paolo III” , Masaccio “Crocifissione”, Luca Giordano “Madonna del baldacchino”…
What’s not included: Entrance ticket (8 €); Transportation (It can be arranged with Mercedes Limousine, Mini Van or Bus; Hotel pick-up or drop-off)
Kid Friendly: Yes
Disable friendly: Yes
I can arrange an itinerary for people with reduced mobility.
tel: +39 3284134719